At the end of last year, Josh Bersin, a leading thinker about the people dimension of business, made eleven predictions to guide people strategy in 2017, and a number of the key points chime with the need to push what I have called the Inner Frontier:
- Organisation design must become more adaptive, empowering smaller, flatter teams and emphasising hands-on leadership.
- Culture and employee engagement will remain top priorities as the workforce becomes ever more demanding, rewarding organisations with a strong shared sense of purpose and clear, lived values.
- Real-time feedback will move into the mainstream.
- Digital providers will catch up with organisations' increasing move from annual to continuous performance management practices.
- Design thinking for 'total employee experience' will become a focus.
- Leadership development will drive stretching young leaders further while dialling up coaching and other support for them, with an emphasis on growth.
- Managing unconscious bias will become a CEO-level issue.